Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Republican Racism

Although this is unrelated to my project, I just wanted to express my outrage at the comments of Republican Senator, and 2008 presidential hopeful, George Allen. At a campaign event, Allen made racist comments about S.R. Sidarth, an Indian-American who was tracking Allen's campaign for his senate opponent. Speaking to an all-white audience (aside from Sidarth), he said the following:

''This fellow over here with the yellow shirt -- Macaca [a genus of monkey] or whatever his name is -- he's with my opponent,'' Allen said. ''He's following us around everywhere.''

''Let's give a welcome to Macaca here. Welcome to America and the real world of Virginia.''

S.R. Sidarth was born and raised in Virginia.

Given Senator Allen's past sympathies with the Southern Confederacy (he wore a Confederate flage lapel pin in his high school yearbook photo), I think it's time to question his American credentials.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home